Our third single-poem competition will open in February to poets from anywhere on our wonderful planet. Our 2021 competition had entries from 15 countries.
You can interpret the Every Breath theme however you choose, and in any poetic form. It lends itself to a huge range of metaphors such as Earth, Covid, life force, energy, speech, misting a window in winter, atmosphere, . . .
The prizes for first, second, and third are £350, £150, and £75 respectively. Up to three highly commended poets will receive £25. All the above, plus the long-list of commended poets, will be published in an online anthology in wildfire words.
The judges include two triage judges who will share the reading of every entry, and form a longlist. The final ranking will be decided by a distinguished poet and educator. The judges’ names will be announced in January 2022, before entries open on 11 February.
Rules for Every Breath competition 2022
Entries start 11 February 2022 Closing date: 11 July 2022
- The contest is open to all poets, except those who act as volunteers in Cheltenham Poetry Festival or Wildfire Words/Frosted Fire.
- All poems must be entirely the entrant’s own, unpublished work.
- International entrants are welcome, but entries must be in English. Translations are not allowed, unless the poet has translated their own poetry into English.
- You may submit up to 4 entries, each as a seperate file, provided an entry fee is paid for each.
- Your entry’s title should be at the top of the page, and the file name of the poem must be the poem’s title.
- To maintain anonymous judging, there must be no identifying marks on any poem. Your entry must not contain a poem that might be recognized by any of the judges through workshops, mentoring, or public readings.
- Each entry should be in one file in Word or PDF.
- Do not put any identification on the work. We will match your entry title to your email address after the anonymous judging is complete.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but an entry must be withdrawn in the event of it winning a prize or publication elsewhere. Entry fees are not refundable once an entry has been received.
- Work will not be returned, so please keep a copy.
- We are unable to give feedback on individual entries or on the results of the competition — the judges’ decisions are final.
- Results will be emailed by 23 May 2022 to all who entered, and published on this website shortly afterwards.
- The Early Bard discounted fee is £3 per entry, or £10 for 4. This applies to all entries sent by 11 May 2022, when the fees will rise to £4 for 1 and £12 for 4 entries.
- Entries must be paid for on the entry form, and your entry file uploaded, by the closing time of 11.59 pm on 11 July 2022.
Entries open 11 February 2022
The entry form records your details, allows you to upload your entry or entries, then collects your entry fee(s). Payments, by credit or debit card, will all be processed by PayPal. You do not need a PayPal account to pay by card, but if you have PayPal you can pay from your account.
The entry form will be available on or before 11 February