The 2021 contest opened for entries on 15 October 2020 and offers two poets the prize of publication of their first collection as a pamphlet book, plus 50 free copies, publication of some sample poems in wildfire words, and headline poet status in an international online Zoom event.
Judges will be led, as in previous years by Angela France, who will decide the winners and commended poets. Angela will consider entries in a long list produced by two triage judges, who the to poets who won publication of their first pamphlet in last year’s contest — David Lukens and Lee Potts. All entries will be anonymously read by David or Lee at the triage stage. .
Rules for Frosted Fire Firsts 2021
Opening date: 15 October 2020 Closing date: 15 February 2021
- Open to all poets who have not had a pamphlet or collection published by an independent publisher. A self-published pamphlet or collection does not exclude a poet from entering.
- All poems must be entirely the entrant’s own work. Individual poems in an entry may have been published online, in journals or magazines, or multi-author anthologies, provided the writer retains copyright. However, the poems entered must not have been published in a solo collection.
- International entrants are welcome.
- Your entry should contain up to 10 poems of no more than 60 lines each. Each poem should start on a new page. (Please note that the winners will be invited to submit more poems to fill a 32-page pamphlet.)
- You may submit up to three entries, each of 10 poems, provided an entry fee is paid for each.
- Your entry’s title should appear on a separate first page. The title may relate to a key poem or suggest the collection’s theme if it has one.
- To maintain anonymous judging, there must be no identifying marks on any poem or title page.
- Each entry should be in one file in Word or Rich Text format.. Each poem should be on a separate page.
- Do not put any identification on the work. The competition administrator will match your entry title to your email address after the anonymous judging is complete.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but an entry must be withdrawn in the event of it winning a prize or publication elsewhere.. Entry fees are not refundable once an entry has been received.
- Work will not be returned, so please keep a copy.
- We are unable to give feedback on individual entries or on the results of the competition — the judges’ decisions are final.
- Results will be emailed to all winners by 31 March 2021 and published on this website shortly afterwards.
- The fee is £12 per entry, although under an Early bard offer the fee will be £10 for each entry submitted by 11:59 pm on 5 January 2021.
- All entries must be paid for, and entry form and entry file received, by the closing time of 11.59 pm on 15 February 2021.
Step one is to pay for your entry or entries. Payments, by credit or debit card, will all be processed by PayPal. You do not need a PayPal account to pay
First, please pay for your entry or entries
Frosted Fire Firsts entry
Payments, by credit or debit card, will all be processed by PayPal. You do not need a PayPal account to pay by card — though you may choose to pay by PayPal if you have an account.