New Voices offers poets aged 25 or less a prize of publication of the winning poet’s first poetry collection, as a pamphlet book. The prize includes 50 free copies, publication of some sample poems in wildfire words, and headline poet status in an international online Zoom event.
The judging will be led by David Clarke who will decide the winner and commended poets. David will consider entries in a long list produced by triage judge Howard Timms. All entries will be read by Howard at the triage stage. Every entry will be anonymous at all stages of judging.
Rules for New Voices competition 2021
Closing date: 15 March 2021
The prize book will be published as a 32-page pamphlet, which will contain up to 28 pages of poetry. Entries for the competition should be as a single file containing up to 10 poems that showcase the poet’s work.
- The contest is open to all poets aged 25 or less on the closing date of 15 March 2021. The winner must not have had a pamphlet or collection published by an independent publisher, or contracted for publication before or on 15 March 2021 .
- All poems must be entirely the entrant’s own work. Individual poems in an entry may have been published online, in journals or magazines, or multi-author anthologies, provided the writer retains copyright.
- International entrants are welcome.
- Your entry should contain up to 10 poems of no more than 60 lines each. Each poem should start on a new page. (Winners will be invited to submit enough poems for a 32-page pamphlet.)
- You may submit up to three entries, each of 10 poems, provided an entry fee is paid for each.
- Your entry’s title should appear on a separate first page. The title may relate to a key poem or suggest the collection’s theme if it has one.
- To maintain anonymous judging, there must be no identifying marks on any poem or title page.
- Each entry should be in one file in Word, Rich Text format, or PDF. Each poem should be on a separate page.
- Do not put any identification on the work. The competition administrator will match your entry title to your email address after the anonymous judging is complete.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but an entry must be withdrawn in the event of it winning a prize or publication elsewhere.. Entry fees are not refundable once an entry has been received.
- Work will not be returned, so please keep a copy.
- We are unable to give feedback on individual entries or on the results of the competition — the judges’ decisions are final.
- Results will be emailed to all winners by 31 March 2021 and published on this website shortly afterwards.
- The fee is £10 per entry, although under an Early bard offer the fee will be £8 for each entry submitted by 11:59 pm on 15 February 2021.
- All entries must be paid for, and entry form and entry file received, by the closing time of 11.59 pm on 15 March 2021.
The fee is £10 per entry, but under an Early bard offer the fee is £8 for each entry received by 11:59 pm on 15 February.
All entries must be paid for, and entry file received, by the closing time of 11.59 pm on 15 March 2021.
Step one is to pay for your entry or entries. Payments, by credit or debit card, will all be processed by PayPal. You do not need a PayPal account to pay by card, but if you have PayPal you can pay from your account.
First, please pay for your entry or entries
New Voices entry
Payments, by credit or debit card, will all be processed by PayPal. You don’t need a PayPal account to pay by card — just CLICK ON THE CARDS in the button below.. To pay by your PayPal account, click on PayPal. Confirmation of your payment to CHELTENHAM POETRY FESTIVAL will be emailed to you, including a payment transaction number. You will need that number to enter the competition.
Now please complete your entry form
You can send your entry any time after confirmation of your payment. To complete the entry form, you need to copy the payment transaction number and paste it into the payment transaction number box below, then complete the other boxes in this entry form:Have a problem with your payment or entry? Please email to