Longlisted poets in the 2021 competition
21 poets have been longlisted:
New Voices 2021 offered poets aged 25 or less a prize of publication of the winning poet’s first poetry collection, as a pamphlet book. The prize includes 50 free copies, publication of some sample poems in wildfire words, and headline poet status in an international online Zoom event.
Judging was led by David Clarke who decided the winner and highly commended poets from a long list produced by triage judge Howard Timms, who read every entry. The entries were anonymous at all stages of judging.
Rules for New Voices competition 2021
Closing date: 15 March 2021
The prize book will be published as a 32-page pamphlet, which will contain up to 28 pages of poetry. Entries for the competition should be as a single file containing up to 10 poems that showcase the poet’s work.
- The contest is open to all poets aged 25 or less on the closing date of 15 March 2021. The winner must not have had a pamphlet or collection published by an independent publisher, or contracted for publication before or on 15 March 2021 .
- All poems must be entirely the entrant’s own work. Individual poems in an entry may have been published online, in journals or magazines, or multi-author anthologies, provided the writer retains copyright.
- International entrants are welcome.
- Your entry should contain up to 10 poems of no more than 60 lines each. Each poem should start on a new page. (Winners will be invited to submit enough poems for a 32-page pamphlet.)
- You may submit up to three entries, each of 10 poems, provided an entry fee is paid for each.
- Your entry’s title should appear on a separate first page. The title may relate to a key poem or suggest the collection’s theme if it has one.
- To maintain anonymous judging, there must be no identifying marks on any poem or title page.
- Each entry should be in one file in Word, Rich Text format, or PDF. Each poem should be on a separate page.
- Do not put any identification on the work. The competition administrator will match your entry title to your email address after the anonymous judging is complete.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but an entry must be withdrawn in the event of it winning a prize or publication elsewhere.. Entry fees are not refundable once an entry has been received.
- Work will not be returned, so please keep a copy.
- We are unable to give feedback on individual entries or on the results of the competition — the judges’ decisions are final.
- Results will be emailed to all winners by 31 March 2021 and published on this website shortly afterwards.
- The fee is £10 per entry, The Early bard discounted price has now ended
- All entries must be paid for, and entry form and entry file received, by the closing time of 11.59 pm on 15 March 2021.