Following the huge success of our 2020 Wild Poems
single-poem contest. . .
The 2021 single poem competition is for entries of up to 70 lines on a theme of TRANSFORMATION. Prizes of £300, £100, £50, and publication in wildfire words await the winners.
The judges for the competition will be confirmed shortly.
Transformation surely applies more to 2020 than any year in living memory, whether it’s in health, social life, work, or education. It also applies to the environment, politics, personal landmarks such as births, partnerships, and death. For poets, our ability to share — worldwide — has developed from it, and that has transformed a number of lives and artistic endeavours. All human life — all forms of life — are in this theme.
2021 Contest opens: 1 December 2020
Closing date: 11.59pm 15 March 2021
2021 Competition Rules
- Open to all poets from anywhere in the world.
- To maintain anonymous judging, there must be no identifying marks on any poem or title..
- All poems must be entirely the entrant’s own work and must not have been published in print or online before the closing date of the competition.
- All entries must be in English and no translations are permitted unless the poet has translated their own original poem.
- Your entry should contain no more than 70 lines. You may submit up to four entries, provided an entry fee is paid for each. Each poem must be in a separate file in Word or Rich Text format.
- Each poem must have a title for reference in judging. Each file’s name should be the title of its poem, or the first four words if the title is long.
- Entries should be submitted as a Word or PDF file. After paying your entry fee you can attach your entry or entries to your entry form.
- Do not put any identification on the work. The competition administrator will match your entry title to your email address after anonymous judging is complete.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but a poem must be withdrawn in the event of it winning a prize or publication elsewhere. Entry fees are not refundable once an entry has been received.
- Work will not be returned, so please keep a copy.
- We are unable to give feedback on individual entries or on the results of the competition — the judges’ decisions are final.
- The results will be published on this web site on on social media by 10 April 2021 and Winners will be announced at a special Cheltenham Poetry Festival. event in May.
- Entry fees are £3 per poem or £9 for 4 poems as a special Early Bard offer to poets submitting entries in December or January.
After 31 January 2021, the fees are £4 per poem or £14 for 4 entries.
- Fees are paid at ;the end of completing your entry form. Once you have completed your entry form and uploaded your entry or entries, you will be asked to pay by credit or debit card or through a PayPal account. All payments are collected by PayPal and sent to Cheltenham Poetry Festival. You do not need a PayPal account to pay by card.